Happy Chocolate Macaroon Day
Did you know…
- Coconut macaroons are often dipped in chocolate, typically milk chocolate.
- The original macaroon was a “small sweet cake consisting largely of ground almonds” similar to Italian amaretti.
- The English word macaroon and French macaron come from the Italian maccarone or maccherone.
- This word is itself derived from ammaccare, meaning crush or beat, in reference to the almond paste which is the principal ingredient.
- Most recipes call for egg whites (usually whipped to stiff peaks), with ground or powdered seeds, generally almonds or nuts. Alternatively, coconuts, a seed, can be used.
Today’s Food History
- 1539 Hernando De Soto claimed Florida for Spain
- 1805 Adolphe Duglere was born. A pupil of Careme, head chef of the Rothschild family, and head chef of the famous 19th century Paris restaurant, the Cafe Anglais.
- 1841 R.I.P. Nicolas Francois Appert. Inventor of the canning process, preserving food by sealing…
Ver o post original 136 mais palavras